Thursday, August 18, 2005

No, I Am Not Done Blogging.

FACING THE BLOG.

Must remain interesting.

Must not fall asleep on the couch watching television.

Must have discipline to keep posting.

I'm definitely going for the public shame factor, as I've never been able to keep a journal for more than 30 seconds without lapsing for months at a time.

Now when I fail to keep this, folks who shall remain nameless until I figure out what they want me to call them in this blog will give me sh_t, and I thank you, _______ for that.

But while I was semi-concious on the couch earlier this week, I saw a cool little documentary, "Broken Column " on the Sundance channel's monday "doc day" program. It was about this small city in Norway called Stavanger that let a British artist named Antony Gormley install his heavy human-shaped iron sculptures all over the place, from public squares to inside of people's houses. Not too suprsingly, Norweigian folks take a bit more kindly to modern art and its challenges than a comparible amur'cun town would. And their blissfully pinko gubmint also appears to fund public art quite handsomely as well. Hooray for Norway!

The actual sculptures themselves were not as visually cool (*to me*) as those pictured here...(which come from Antony Gormley's most excellent website, which I recomend you peep--> http://www.antonygormley.com/ ) but instead look more like very large rusty "oscar" trophys but without the wank-bulge. These were arrayed around town in precisely according to the elevation of the site they were installed on....if all the sculptures at all the different elevations were put together, they would form a column.

Here is a link to the Sundance channel's weenie little page on this documentary.

Anyway, I went to NY with the S.O. for 4 days, and the evenings after than I've been too comatose and spanked by the end of my days to post. And other, winey, piss-ant excuses, etc. etc.

The images on this page are from antony gormley's website, and are titled thusly:

CAPACITOR 2001
Mild steel tubes,

BODIES IN SPACE V 2001
Forged ball bearings

1 Comments:

Blogger Das Brick said...

Some days I am more of a pin guy and other days I am a ball guy. Today I was definitely a pin guy.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home